Podiatry – the specialism for all foot, ankle, and toe problems.
Take a look at the common conditions and treatments, as well as read below for more information about The London Podiatrist.
Steven Thomas BSc. (Hons) Podiatry, MCPod, IJT, POM-A, POM-S
Mr Thomas is a Podiatrist based at the Harley Street medical district of London during Monday to Friday, and is an honorary member of the Podiatric (foot and ankle) Surgery unit at Guy’s NHS hospital.
He can also provide private home / hospital podiatry and chiropody service in central London – see Locations.
Graduated with Honours in Podiatry and has additional entitlements of prescription only medicines – administration (POM-A), and sale and supply (POM-S).
A member of the College of Podiatry, HCPC and The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow.
Currently undertaking a Masters Degree in Podiatric (foot and ankle) Surgery
- Lower limb musculoskeletal abnormalities
- Diagnostic video gait analysis and orthotic prescription – Gait analysis is the study of the way we walk. Custom orthotics are often prescribed to optimise this.
- Minor surgery treatments including ingrown toe nail surgery.
- Shockwave (ESWT) treatments for plantar fasciitis and achilles tendinopathy.
- Image guided diagnostic and therapeutic injections: Local anaesthetic, steroid, PRP (platelet rich plasma), OSTINIL (for symptoms of arthritic joints), and high volume injections. Commonly used to treat a wide range of foot symptoms including: Morton’s neuroma, osteoarthritis of the big toe joint, tendinopathy, joint pain, sinus tarsi syndrome, and plantar fasciitis.
- Experienced in verruca treatments including cryotherapy and verruca needling.
Steven is an avid musician, writing and performing music on piano and guitar. He can often be spotted taking country walks at National Trust sites.
Podiatrist or Chiropodist?
Podiatrists and chiropodists are specialists in foot health. Sometimes there is confusion between the two titles. Chiropody is used to describe treatments of foot ailments. Podiatry, a more recent title, encompasses the complete detailed study, diagnosis and treatments of the foot and ankle. This includes chiropody as one form of treatment option. Podiatry can involve gait analysis, custom orthotics (insoles), nail surgery, shockwave therapy, prescription only medicines, administration of local anaesthetics / steroid / PRP etc.
In short, all Podiatrists can carry out chiropody but, not all Chiropodists are Podiatrists.